Welcome. This site was created to support the Queens Library Learning 2.0 Program, a discovery learning program designed to encourage staff to explore new technologies and reward them for doing 23 1/2 Things.



Thursday, November 1, 2007

checking in ...

How's everyone doing? Catching up on all the Things? Eager for more and counting the days until November 5? Here's an interesting article published by two Pratt professors:

Information professionals' attitude toward the adoption of innovations in everyday life by Debbie L. Rabina and David J. Walczyk.

When new technology is introduced, where do you fall: first on the block, among the first, just before everyone else, when everyone else does, or last on the block? I think I tend to be just before everyone else.

There will be a little surprise delivered to the registered participants over the next week or so. Keep up the good work and come back Monday for Week 6 which features my most favorite Thing of all the Things: tagging and folksonomies.

Chin up,
Hood and Hat, QL L2.0

2 comments:

Barb Conkin said...

I'm one of the last to get any new technology.

I got my first cell phone a few years ago. I've also only had a DVD player for a few years.

I'm not afraid of technology, but just frugal. I've dated some great stereos, a Sidekick (internet phone) and a few top of the line computer systems. I've never dated someone with one of those big flat screen TVs - maybe that should be a goal for my 7 1/2 habits. :-)

Dale said...

Like Barb, I tend to wait. In my case, I do enjoy new technology, but I wait until I personally see a need for it in my life.

And I like to wait until there is a generally agreed standard. No Betamax for me.

I got a cell phone long after most of my friends, because I didn't see the need. Then I got a new job with a new supervisor (not at QL). She always wanted to know where I was--including at lunch--so I got the cell phone so as not to eat lunch at my desk! That seemed very much worth it.

I grew up without television and with a party line telephone, which we used only for emergencies. So, I don't mind being without something that a lot of of people have.